hello friends! i’d like to take a moment to tell you a bit about myself. my name is tara. i’m a thirty-two year old gal from southeastern massachusetts. at the age of nineteen, i stumbled into the art of living statuary. performance has been a significant part of my life ever since.
i want to share my adventures with you. now, some of you might be thinking this will surely be a bunch of artsy fluff. i promise this is not that kind of blog. there will, of course, inevitably be lots of positive things to say. but there will also be lots of not-so-positive things to say. the performance experience is not always made of sunshine and rainbows, especially as a street performer, and i love to rant.
this blog contains profanities, ’cause that’s how i roll. consider this your parental advisory.
my goal is to be open, honest, and uncensored. you will see the person behind the art, not just the characters i play. i will announce when and where i plan to perform, write recaps of performances, share tips on how to be a good living statue… and, to make this fun and interactive, answer your questions. see that “talk to the statue” tab up ^ there? give it a click and ask me absolutely anything, basic or complex, technical or philosophical, serious or silly, about my art or about me personally.
before we get started, let’s go over some of the terms and names that will pop up frequently here.
- busking – performing in a public space, typically in a park or on a sidewalk, and accepting tips from kind passersby.
- pitch – the specific location in a public space where a performer busks. there can be numerous pitches in any given space.
- waterfire – a festival/art installation in downtown providence, rhode island, which occurs throughout the spring, summer, and fall. this is one of my favorite busking opportunities. my usual pitch is on the corner of washington street and canal walk. check out waterfire.org to learn more about the event.
- ten31 – ten31 productions is the living art company i worked for from 2006 to 2017.
- justin – my fiance, photographer, videographer, social media helper, sounding board, overall pillar of support.
- wyatt – my ex, who assisted me during hundreds of performance adventures.
and here are a couple of fun things for you:
- youtube – see videos of me in action, so to speak.
- facebook – notifications regarding when and where i will be performing, blog and youtube updates, photos, little blurbs not worthy of their own blog post, etc.
- instagram – photos from performances, behind the scenes, etc.
- firstname.lastname@example.org – email me! send me your questions, comments, photos, videos, songs, poems, etc.
this, dear readers, is my life as a living art performer.